Academic English Course
Welcome to our combined academic and general English course, designed especially for university students in Edinburgh! We’ve made this course 20% cheaper (£187 instead of £233) to give you a student discount!
So, why take this course?
Well, you got the IELTS score you needed to get into university in Edinburgh, but now you’re here, you’ve discovered you still need to improve your English for university life and study.
Perhaps you want to increase confidence in speaking up in seminars or discussing in groups, or you want to give presentations in English. Or maybe you need help writing essays or your dissertation in English. It could be you want to write a CV, cover letter or LinkedIn profile in English.
Most of all, you want to increase your vocabulary, especially typical expressions in English, and speak more fluently and naturally so that you can enjoy your time at university more and make international friends.
Basically, this course is exactly what you’re looking for!!
What happens in class?
During this fun, interesting and highly useful 6 week Academic English Course, you will:
- practise discussing topical issues in English, from psychology to environmental science
- develop seminar language
- improve grammar and increase vocabulary and everyday expressions
- receive personalised error correction from your teacher
- get language tips and exercises to help you with your weaknesses in English
- learn and practise presentation skills
- improve university academic writing, such as essays and dissertations
- prepare a CV, cover letter and LinkedIn profile in English
Discounted help with essays
If you need proofreading or one-to-one help with essays, dissertations, presentations, reports or any other university projects, you can book private lessons at a student rate of £27 per hour (usually £45).
Why choose Venture English?
- We keep our classes small so that you can receive more focused support from your teacher than is possible in larger groups, while still enjoying a more affordable course than private lessons.
- We’re a small, teacher-run school, so we treat you like a person, not a statistic. We genuinely care about your experience with us and your progress.
- Our teachers are qualified and very experienced, and specialise in teaching international university students.
- We’re perfectly situated for you to continue your English language immersion even after class, as Venture English is at near Edinburgh University Summerhall, the city’s most adventurous arts and events venue!
What level is the course?
The course is available for international adults with a B2 or C1/C2 level of English (upper-intermediate and advanced/proficiency).
Can I get a student discount?
Yes, because you are a university student, we’ve made the course 20% cheaper than usual (£187 instead of £233). Also, we give you a special discounted rate of £27 per hour (normally £45) for private English lessons! You can study general English, business English or exam preparation (IELTS, Cambridge or Trinity), or receive help with academic writing or proofreading for your university essays and dissertations.
Is there a registration fee?
No. There are no extra charges for your course, enrollment or materials – you pay only what you see above.
How long can I study for?
Each English for University course is six weeks. You can enrol for as many courses as you want! Each course is a little bit different, as we personalise our lessons to our students’ individual needs and interests.
How old are the students?
Our students are over 18, and our English for University Students attracts 18-22 year olds as well as mature students (23+).
Where are the students from?
Everywhere! We have welcomed students from over 30 countries. In 2016, our majority nationalities were Swiss, Dutch, Spanish and Japanese.
How many students are in class?
We offer small group courses to ensure you get the best possible opportunity to improve and use your English, which means there will be up to 8 students per class.
Is there a cultural activity programme?
Yes. There are optional activities every week so that you can socialise in English with teachers and other students while experiencing Scottish culture and lifestyle. Example activities are live folk music in a traditional whisky bar, a walk up extinct volcano Arthur’s Seat, or a visit to a historical coastal village near Edinburgh. You can also arrange extra activities by attending events at Summerhall.
How to Book
To book your group course or private lesson(s), you need to make full payment. Places are limited, so early booking is strongly recommended.
You can pay online via Paypal (including credit or debit card) or bank transfer (BACS or Transferwise.com). If you prefer to pay in cash, simply arrange to visit Venture English to make payment. Your booking is only confirmed when we receive your full payment.
At checkout, you can tell us which dates you want to book, and any other information.
If you have any questions before you book, just ask – we’re happy to help!
What Happens Next?
When we receive your payment, we will email you confirmation of your course booking.
We will then ask you to fill out a needs analysis so that we know more about your study aims and interests. We may arrange a face-to-face or Skype chat to assess your English level and discuss your course.
Venture English reserves the right to cancel a course in circumstances outside of our control or, in the case of group courses, when fewer than three students have enrolled. Full payment will be refunded when a course cannot be provided.
If you cancel your course:
- more than 28 days before its commencement, all payment will be refunded, minus any bank transfer or administration fees.
- between 28 and 14 days before its commencement, 50% of your course fees will be refunded, minus any bank transfer or administration fees.
- less than 14 days before its commencement, or if you withdraw from the course having started it, no payment will be returned.
For further information, see our Terms & Conditions.