Christmas is coming (yay!) and if you’re looking for the best unusual Christmas gifts in Edinburgh, you’re in the right place!
As a newbie in town, you might not know all the little nooks and temporary Xmas markets and that’s why we’ve created this list of all the places you should have a look for your Christmas presents.
Markets for Unusual Christmas Gifts in Edinburgh
Aside from the German Christmas Markets on Princes street and in St Andrew’s Square (open from the 18th of November until the 6th of January 2018), there are wonderful temporary markets where you can find bespoke and handcrafted presents (you might be less distracted by all the mulled wine around!):
- Castle street market fair (Waverley station) 20th-26th of November
- Flea Market (Dalmeny Street) 25th of November
- Edinburgh’s Indoor Christmas Market (Surgeon’s Hall) 26th of November
- Christmas Shopping Night (Archerfield) 1st of December
- 3d/2d Christmas Art, Craft & Design Fair 2nd and 3rd of December
- Edinburgh Christmas Craft, Art And Design Fair 2nd and 3rd of December
- Jupiter Artland’s Christmas Fair 2nd and 3rd of December
- Christmas Craft Fair 3rd of December
- Christmas Maker’s market 9th of December
- Xmas at Summerhall 10th of December
- Edinburgh Indoor Market (Anderson place) 16th of December
- Stockbridge market: taking place every Sunday from 10 am until 17 pm.
- Royal Mile Market: taking place in the Tron Kirk every day
With all of our technology, it’s getting easier and easier to find the perfect present for your loved ones (or the occasional awkward secret Santas).
If you’ve never browsed on Etsy for presents, now’s the time to do so! It’s a perfect place to find handmade and beautiful presents. It may be pricier, but you support artists all over the world rather than multinational companies.
*Tip: If you’re not going to your home country and wish to buy something for your family without paying for postage, you can always buy something online and have it delivered to their place. With Amazon, you can even ask for a gift-wrapping package with a personalised note inside.
If you prefer browsing in physical shops, Edinburgh is a great town to find the perfect gem. Some of our personal favourites are these:
- Bonkers gifts
- Cloud 9 Edinburgh
- Cranachan & Crowdie
- TK Maxx
- Anthropologie on Georges Street
- John Lewis
- Urban Outfitters on Princes Street
- Charity Shops
Make your Own
While handicrafts might not be for everyone, definitely a great heartfelt present is one that you’ve made yourself. It’s definitely a good way to give unusual Christmas gifts!
Browse on Pinterest or Youtube to find how to make something great and stop at Hobby Craft to buy your material!
Some workshops are also available if you want to kill two birds with one stone.
- Anthropologie DIY events
- Make your own Beer with Stewart Brewing
- Painting on Ceramic with Doodles
- Edinburgh Pub Craft Club
- Edinburgh Meet and Make group
- Wooden Christmas Tree Decorations to Make
- Christmas Baubles to make
- To rent tools
Everyone offers presents in their own way, but it’s always the thought that counts. So get your mittens and boots out and go shopping! Christmas awaits!
Share with us your favourite place to shop for presents in Edinburgh!
Written by Judith Bellemare, Venture English