English Evening Classes
Tuesdays & Thursdays (6 weeks)
B2, C1, C2
4 hours per week (6.30-8.30pm)
Our part-time Professional + General English evening course is designed for international adults living in Edinburgh who want to improve their advanced English language skills, fluency and accuracy.
Business + General English Evening Classes
This part-time six week evening English course combines professional (business) English and general English. It is especially designed for international adults living and working in Edinburgh who want to improve their advanced (B2+) English language skills, fluency and accuracy for work and daily life in Britain.
During two weekly English evening classes with a highly experienced English teacher in a small group of 6 students, you will:
- watch, read about and discuss topical issues (e.g. from TED, BBC, The Guardian, FutureLearn)
- study business and professional language for a variety of contexts (e.g. emails, meetings, presentations, negotiations, diplomacy, phone expressions, CV/LinkedIn profile writing)
- receive correction on your mistakes
- get personalised language exercises to develop your weaknesses
- learn important everyday and professional vocabulary and expressions
- have the opportunity to ask questions about the language you use in your daily life and work
- join a like-minded community of international adults where you can make new friends and contacts!
What happens in class?
English for Work
Your Tuesday class focuses on professional English for work, helping you use better English and feel more confident when speaking with clients and colleagues professionally and when chatting informally.
You will learn through interactive and practical activities, including workplace simulations, projects, language training and homework. These Business English classes focus on a combination of the following*:
- How to give presentations in English
- Appropriate language for meetings in English
- Best conventions for writing emails in English
- Practise English telephoning, Skyping and teleconferencing
- How to communicate diplomatically in English
- Appropriate ‘style’ (i.e. formal vs. informal) of speaking and writing in different situations
- Negotiating skills in English
- Improve your CV, cover letter and LinkedIn profile in English
- Job interview practice in English
- Improve social English & how to network effectively
*Note: class content may vary from the above depending on the objectives and interests of the students enrolled, and on the teacher’s analysis of students’ needs.
On Thursdays, you will improve your advanced general English through discussion, grammar/vocabulary training, interactive tasks and language-in-context (e.g. articles, TED talks, and podcasts). Your friendly teacher will also correct your mistakes, suggest alternative expressions and answer questions about anything you’re confused about!
You’ll be given homework and language exercises to practise in between classes and develop your language weaknesses. You will sometimes be asked to do a little preparation for class by reading, watching or listening to real-life materials, and to work on mini projects and presentations.
Private lessons discount
Join these English evening classes and we will give you discounted private lessons! Just ask us about it.
Why choose Venture English?
- We keep our classes small (6 students) so that you can receive more focused support from your teacher than is possible in larger groups, while still enjoying a more affordable course than private lessons.
- We’re a small, teacher-run school, so we treat you like a person, not a statistic. We genuinely care about your experience with us and your progress.
- Our teachers are qualified and very experienced, as well as fascinating people with broad interests who have a lot of life experience to bring into the classroom.
- We’re perfectly situated for you to continue learning English even after class, as Venture English is at Summerhall, Edinburgh’s most adventurous arts, events and education venue!
Who is the course for?
This course is available for advanced (B2+/C1/C2) level English learners.
It’s particularly popular with busy people in Edinburgh who don’t have time during the day to study full-time and want to improve English communication for work or daily life.
Can I combine classes?
You can combine this evening English course with our daytime Advanced English Course or specialist private one-to-one classes focusing on language development for your specific profession.
You can even enjoy an English language holiday in Edinburgh by combining English lessons in the evenings with social and cultural activities during the day, including a tailored private English programme that immerses you in Edinburgh life and language!
Is there a registration fee?
No. There are no extra charges for your course, enrollment or materials – you pay only what you see above.
How long can I study for?
Each course is six weeks. You can enrol for as many courses as you want! Each course is a little bit different, as we personalise our lessons to our students’ individual needs and interests.
How old are the students?
Our students are over 18, and ages typically range from 26 to 45. The average age in 2016 was 34.
Where are the students from?
Everywhere! We have welcomed students from over 30 countries. In 2016, our majority nationalities were Swiss, Dutch, Spanish and Japanese.
How many students are in class?
We offer specialised mini-group classes to ensure you get the best possible opportunity to improve and use your English, which means there will be up to 6 students per class.
Is there a cultural activity programme?
Yes. There are optional activities every week so that you can socialise in English with teachers and other students while experiencing Scottish culture and lifestyle. Example activities are live folk music in a traditional whisky bar, a walk up extinct volcano Arthur’s Seat, or a visit to a historical coastal village near Edinburgh. You can also arrange extra activities by attending events at Summerhall.
Live like a local by staying with locals in a homestay! Our homestays are with independent Edinburgh hosts who welcome you into their homes. This is a great way to practise English and learn about Scottish culture and the city of Edinburgh! You can choose the kind of host you stay with. For example, a family, retired couple or young professionals; self-catering, B&B or half-board; private or shared bathroom etc. In all cases, you will have a private bedroom, use of the kitchen, living room and washing machine, and free wifi. Homestays are from £175 per week. Venture English charges an accommodation arrangement fee of £35 for your total stay.
City Centre Hostel
Venture English has partnered with stylish city centre hostel, The Baxter, to offer you comfortable shared accommodation at a 15% discount! The Baxter is a boutique hostel with a contemporary Scottish feel that opened in 2017. It’s a 20 minute walk to Venture English, 10 minutes to the Old Town and Royal Mile, and right next to Princes Street and the airport bus/tram stops. Dorm rooms are shared with other adults, and have between 4 and 12 beds. Contact Venture English to book with a 15% discount. A dorm bed is from £137 per week. Venture English charges an accommodation arrangement fee of £15 for your total stay.
If you want a private apartment so that you can cook and enjoy your own space at an affordable price, we recommend Airbnb. Airbnb is an online community of local hosts who offer spare rooms or whole apartments at prices often cheaper than hotels. The accommodation is in real homes, so you get to stay somewhere interesting, and experience what it’s like to live as a local. If you would like to book through Venture English, a member of our accommodation team will visit and arrange an apartment for you. Apartments in Edinburgh via Airbnb are from £400 per week. Our accommodation arrangement fee is £35 for your total stay.
Homestay: from £175 per week + £35 arrangement fee
Hostel: from £137 per week + £15 arrangement fee
Private apartment: from £400 per week + £35 arrangement fee
*Please note, in July and especially August accommodation gets booked up very quickly and prices may rise. Venture English tries very hard to arrange the accommodation you want at prices you can afford, and we always communicate openly with you about availability.
How to Book
To book your group course or private lesson(s), you need to make full payment. Places are limited, so early booking is strongly recommended.
You can pay online via Paypal (including credit or debit card) or bank transfer (BACS or Transferwise.com). If you prefer to pay in cash, simply arrange to visit Venture English to make payment. Your booking is only confirmed when we receive your full payment.
At checkout, you can tell us which dates you want to book, and any other information.
If you have any questions before you book, just ask – we’re happy to help!
What Happens Next?
When we receive your payment, we will email you confirmation of your course booking.
We will then ask you to fill out a needs analysis so that we know more about your study aims and interests. We may arrange a face-to-face or Skype chat to assess your English level and discuss your course.
Venture English reserves the right to cancel a course in circumstances outside of our control or, in the case of group courses, when fewer than three students have enrolled. Full payment will be refunded when a course cannot be provided.
If you cancel your course:
- more than 28 days before its commencement, all payment will be refunded, minus any bank transfer or administration fees.
- between 28 and 14 days before its commencement, 50% of your course fees will be refunded, minus any bank transfer or administration fees.
- less than 14 days before its commencement, or if you withdraw from the course having started it, no payment will be returned.
For further information, see our Terms & Conditions.