- Based at vibrant arts/education hub, Summerhall
- Next to the beautiful Meadows park
- Short walk to the Royal Mile & Old Town
- Magnificent views of Arthur’s Seat and the Castle
Venture English is excited to be based at Summerhall, Edinburgh’s most adventurous multi-media arts and educational centre!
Located by the beautiful Meadows park near Edinburgh University, Summerhall is a creative hub that holds exhibitions and events and hosts an eclectic and cross-cultural mix of innovative people.
Recently converted from a Veterinary College, this retro hang-out also has small museums, a quirky antique bar and its own craft brewery. Every August, things get even more exciting, as Summerhall is a major Edinburgh Fringe Festival venue.
The reason Venture English feels at home here is because we share something special with Summerhall: a passion for adventure, creativity and experiential learning.
Being at Summerhall means that Venture English students can enjoy a variety of spaces, meet all kinds of fascinating people, try something completely new, and perhaps get a little inspiration!
For more information about Summerhall, visit www.summerhall.co.uk
Venture English is on the fourth floor, with magnificent views of Arthur’s Seat and Edinburgh Castle. Our bright and contemporary space has a small library of self-study textbooks, and you can borrow fiction, non-fiction and stimulating magazines. Bring a snack and help yourself to tea and coffee!
We also get out of the classroom, teaching classes in different locations to keep things interesting, and taking you on educational excursions all over Edinburgh. If you’re taking a private customised course, we can combine English lessons with almost anything you desire!
We are just a 15 minute walk from the Royal Mile, the heart of Edinburgh’s Old Town. If you don’t feel like walking, reach us easily by bus – bus numbers 42 and 67 stop outside, and bus numbers 3, 5, 7, 8, 29, 31, 47 and 49 stop round the corner on South Clerk Street. Use the Lothian Buses Journey Planner to find your way here.
Venture English is in the middle of a popular area for Edinburgh University students and local residents on the edge of the beautiful Meadows Park. We are surrounded by diverse shops, cafes, restaurants and bars, and, of course, banks and supermarkets. There’s also an excellent cafe and a gourmet pub at Summerhall.
THINGS TO DO
- At Summerhall, visit exhibitions, read in the cafe, chat with friends in the bar, or dance madly at the weekly ceilidh!
- Have a barbecue and play football or tennis in The Meadows
- Walk up Arthur’s Seat in Holyrood Park
- Visit the National Museum of Scotland on Chambers Street
- Explore the historical Grassmarket, once used for executions
- Have coffee at the Elephant House where J.K. Rowlings wrote Harry Potter
- Learn all about whisky on a Scotch Whisky Experience tour
- Stroll along the Royal Mile from Edinburgh Castle to Holyrood Palace
- Enjoy a pint and listen to traditional music at Sandy Bell’s pub
- Catch a show at the Festival Theatre
- Discover the secret vaults and history of medieval Edinburgh with an underground tour